the History of Cook Forest
Andrew Cook family tree
A greatly simplified genealogy of Andrew Cook (1824 – 1891), son of John, son of Daniel (Cook or possibly Koch). Andrew’s children [only those surviving to adulthood are shown] formed the A. Cook Sons Co., and many transferred their properties to Anthony W. Cook Sr., for the purpose of creating Cook Forest State Park in 1927.
Cook Forest Park by I.M. McCreight, 1936
“A brief history compiled from the records by one of the many thousands comprising the great army of patriotic citizens who fought to preserve the giant pines for future generations to see and enjoy.” Details the years of effort that went into the establishment of Cook Forest State Park.
Deeds executed by Andrew Cook and his wife, Rebecca Ann Maze Cook, scanned from the Forest County courthouse in Tionesta, PA, are included here for anyone with an interest in old deeds, and for archival purposes. Note that some have been transcribed from the original.
The Cook Forest Conservancy page on local Maps has a few of the initial parcel landowner maps – click here to see these. Local county boundaries shifted in the 1900s, so do keep this in mind when researching old plats and deeds.
Land Donations to Cook Forest State Park
Several other families and organizations have donated real property to Cook Forest since its formation in 1927. Among those donors are Thomas Liggett, for whom a trail is named in the park, and who appears here in an excellent photograph which one hopes resolved amicably. Mr. Braun spared part of the Tom’s Run area from purchase by a logging company. Mr. Liggett and Arthur E. Braun, of Pittsburgh, were both active in the Cook Forest Association. The MacBeth family, who still operate cabins and a store at the Route 36 bridge (see the panorama below for their site, to right of the bridge in the image), donated a parcel along Forest Drive. Most recently, the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy obtained 275 acres near Slocum Spring and transferred it to the state park.